Tuesday 25 March 2014

"This is a really good class"

 These are words to beware as a supply teacher; as they can often be incredibly misleading. 

 The "good class" usually refers to a top set who their teacher has taught for a number of years. The group that hang on their every word, but as a result aren't too interested in listening to anybody else. 

 I was once told this about a top set Science group. "Lovely set this" said the teacher, "won't be a spot of bother" 

 I was too young to know any better so I expected good things. I was looking forward to teaching this class so I went in positive. 

 "Can a few of you hand these books out for me?" I said cheerily, to a class that didn't look to keen on listening to me, as they were so engrossed in their own conversations. 

 "Do it your fucking self" said the one kid who was bothering to listen to me; the others couldn't even stand to look at me, as I was clearly not good enough for them. 

 Suddenly it became apparent that it wasn't a nice group at all; it was a bunch of teens who'd only respect people they knew. I had to earn their respect. 

 I gave them a starter that they didn't do, put on a short film that they didn't watch, and then went through a detailed lesson through which they barely batted an eyelid. 
 
 I fought my way through the lesson, putting up with verbal abuse, a complete lack of effort, and students who wouldn't even look at me when I spoke to them.

At one point a student got a magazine out and started reading it, completely ignoring my initially polite request to put it away I took action. I took it, tore it in half, and threw it in the bin.

 I'd had enough and unleashed hell. I was shouting and throwing everything I had at this class. They were paying attention now but weren't happy about being challenged. 

 I kept them in for ten minutes after the lesson, and all I could hear from them was "pathetic" and "wanker" said to be heard. 

 I had never come across such a rude bunch of students. A truly foul class who had obviously left their manners in their mansions.

 When I told the teacher after the lesson he said the ever helpful lie: "well they're never like that for me" 

 If you believe that, you'll believe anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment